According to extrareference, Sierra Blanca, Texas is located in the southern part of Hudspeth County, Texas. It sits at an elevation of 4,840 feet and is just east of the Davis Mountains. The climate in Sierra Blanca is semi-arid with hot summers and mild winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Sierra Blanca has a BSk climate which includes warm summers and short winters with limited rainfall.
The area was first settled by the Apache Native Americans who called it “Cerro Blanco” which translates to “White Mountain”. In 1881 a post office was established and Sierra Blanca officially became part of Hudspeth County in 1883. In 1886, a railroad station was built connecting Sierra Blanca to other parts of Texas.
Politically, Sierra Blanca is part of the 23rd congressional district represented by Republican Congressman Will Hurd who has held office since 2015. The mayor of Sierra Blanca is Carlos Acosta who has been in office since 2019.
The economy of Sierra Blanca is largely based on agriculture and ranching as well as tourism from its proximity to Big Bend National Park and the Rio Grande River. There are also several businesses including banks, restaurants, convenience stores and gas stations that help provide jobs to residents living in town or nearby cities such as El Paso or Van Horn.
Sierra Blanca is served by two school districts: Van Horn Independent School District (ISD) and Fort Hancock ISD; both serve students from prekindergarten through 12th grade. Both school districts offer numerous extracurricular activities such as sports teams, clubs, music classes and more for their students so they can learn valuable life skills while having fun at the same time.
There are several landmarks throughout town that visitors can explore including the White Mountain Monument which pays tribute to early settlers who lived in this area; it sits atop a hill overlooking downtown Sierra Blanca and serves as a reminder of how far this community has come over the years. Other popular landmarks include The Star Motel which dates back to 1950s; it’s known for its neon lights that light up downtown at night along with various murals painted on its walls that tell stories about life in this small town during this time period.
Males: 261 (49.0%), Females: 272 (51.0%)
Zip code: 79851
Median resident age: 30.5 years
Median household income: $26,437
Median house value: $41,400
Races in Sierra Blanca:
- Hispanic (72.6%)
- White Non-Hispanic (25.1%)
- Other race (5.1%)
- American Indian (3.6%)
- Two or more races (3.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (9.0%), English (6.2%), Irish (6.2%), German (5.4%), French (1.7%), Scottish (1.3%).
Elevation: 4520 feet
Land area: 4.1 square miles
Sierra Blanca, Texas is a small town located in Hudspeth County. The population of Sierra Blanca is estimated to be around 1,800 people as of 2020. The majority of the population is Hispanic, making up about 92% of the total population. The other 8% consists of African Americans, White Americans, and Native Americans. The median age in Sierra Blanca is 28 years old and the median household income is around $25,000. The poverty rate in Sierra Blanca is at 24%, which is significantly higher than the state average. Despite this fact, the citizens are proud of their town and continue to strive for better economic opportunities and improved quality of life for all its residents.
The town offers a variety of activities for its residents such as outdoor recreation at nearby parks like Elephant Mountain Wildlife Management Area or hiking trails like Big Hill Trailhead in Hueco Tanks State Park & Historic Site. There are also several restaurants offering traditional Mexican cuisine that adds to the unique culture of Sierra Blanca. Additionally, there are plenty of shops and other services that provide basic needs for its citizens such as grocery stores, banks, gas stations and more.
Overall, Sierra Blanca has a close-knit community with a vibrant culture that gives it a unique identity from other towns in Texas or even across the country. It is an area where everyone knows each other’s name and looks out for one another’s well-being no matter their background or ethnicity. This sense of unity amongst its residents gives Sierra Blanca an inviting atmosphere that anyone can appreciate when they visit this small but special town in Hudspeth County.
For population 25 years and over in Sierra Blanca
- High school or higher: 60.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.7%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 10.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sierra Blanca CDP
- Never married: 28.2%
- Now married: 52.7%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 8.4%
- Divorced: 8.4%
12.9% Foreign born (12.9% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sierra Blanca:
- CULBERSON COUNTY HOSPITAL DISTRICT (about 46 miles; VAN HORN, TX)
- HIGHLANDS REGIONAL REHABILITATION HOS (about 78 miles; EL PASO, TX)
- DEL SOL MEDICAL CENTER (about 82 miles; EL PASO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sierra Blanca:
- EL PASO INTL (about 83 miles; EL PASO, TX; Abbreviation: ELP)
- BIGGS AAF (about 84 miles; FORT BLISS/EL PASO/, TX; Abbreviation: BIF)
- CAVERN CITY AIR TRML (about 110 miles; CARLSBAD, NM; Abbreviation: CNM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sierra Blanca:
- CULBERSON COUNTY (about 40 miles; VAN HORN, TX; Abbreviation: VHN)
- DELL CITY MUNI (about 54 miles; DELL CITY, TX; Abbreviation: 2E5)
- FABENS (about 60 miles; FABENS, TX; Abbreviation: E35)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sierra Blanca:
- EL PASO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 81 miles; EL PASO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,127)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT EL PASO (about 91 miles; EL PASO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 12,071)
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 124 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 12,562)
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-DONA ANA (about 124 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,380)
- SUL ROSS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 130 miles; ALPINE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,076)
- ODESSA COLLEGE (about 206 miles; ODESSA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,555)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 233 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
Public primary/middle school in Sierra Blanca:
- SIERRA BLANCA SCHOOL (Students: 137; Location: RANCH RD 1111; Grades: PK – 12)