Anson, Maine Demographics

Anson is a small town located in Somerset County, Maine. With a population of approximately 2,500 people, Anson is a close-knit community that embodies the charm and tranquility of rural New England. The town covers an area of 41.6 square miles, characterized by rolling hills, picturesque landscapes, and a vibrant agricultural presence.

According to transporthint, Anson is predominantly white, with a population that is nearly 98% Caucasian. The town has a slightly higher percentage of females, accounting for about 52% of the population, while males make up the remaining 48%. The median age in Anson is 44 years, which is slightly higher than the national average.

Anson has a relatively small household size, with an average of 2.3 people per household. The town has a mix of family households and individuals living alone. Around 58% of the households are classified as family households, while the remaining 42% are non-family households. The majority of the households in Anson are homeowners, with a homeownership rate of approximately 85%.

In terms of education, Anson has a high school graduation rate that is on par with the state average. Around 90% of residents aged 25 and older have completed high school, while approximately 15% have obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher. The town is served by the Regional School Unit 74, which includes Anson, Embden, New Portland, and Solon. The students attend Carrabec Community School, which provides education from pre-kindergarten to grade 12.

The economy of Anson is primarily driven by agriculture, forestry, and small businesses. Farms and agricultural enterprises have a significant presence in the area, contributing to the town’s rural character. The fertile soil and favorable climate make Anson an ideal location for farming activities, with crops such as potatoes, blueberries, and hay being prominent.

Anson also has a small but diverse range of businesses catering to the local community. These include grocery stores, restaurants, hardware stores, and other essential services. Many residents also commute to nearby towns for employment opportunities, including Skowhegan, the county seat of Somerset County.

The town of Anson has a strong sense of community and a rich history. It is home to several community organizations and events that bring residents together, fostering a close-knit atmosphere. The Anson Historical Society preserves and promotes the town’s heritage, while recreational opportunities such as hiking, fishing, and hunting are abundant in the surrounding natural areas.

While Anson is a predominantly white community, it is important to note that diversity exists within the town. The demographics are evolving, and there is a growing recognition of the importance of inclusivity and embracing people from different backgrounds.

In conclusion, Anson, Maine, is a small, predominantly white community with a strong agricultural heritage. The town values its rural charm, close-knit community, and natural beauty. With a mix of family households and individuals, Anson offers a peaceful and welcoming environment for residents of all ages. As the town continues to evolve, it is embracing the importance of diversity and inclusivity, ensuring a bright future for Anson and its residents.

Location, Weather, and Education of Anson, Maine

According to, Anson, Maine is a small town located in Somerset County in the United States. Nestled in the heart of the state, Anson offers its residents a charming and picturesque setting. The town is surrounded by natural beauty, with rolling hills, lush greenery, and the scenic Kennebec River flowing nearby. Anson is known for its peaceful and serene atmosphere, making it an ideal place for those seeking a quiet and close-knit community.

The weather in Anson is typical of a New England climate, with warm summers and cold winters. Summers are mild and pleasant, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to low 80s Fahrenheit (around 24-28 degrees Celsius). This is the perfect time for outdoor activities like hiking, fishing, and exploring the beautiful countryside. Winters, on the other hand, are cold and snowy, with temperatures dropping to below freezing. Average snowfall in Anson is around 80 inches per year, creating a winter wonderland for residents to enjoy.

When it comes to education, Anson provides its residents with a strong and supportive educational system. The town is part of the School Administrative District #74, which serves several nearby towns as well. Anson Elementary School is the primary school in the town, offering education from pre-kindergarten through grade 6. The school is committed to providing a safe and nurturing environment for its students, focusing on academic excellence, character development, and individual growth.

For higher education, Anson residents have access to a range of options in the surrounding area. There are several colleges and universities within a reasonable distance, including the University of Maine at Farmington, which offers a variety of undergraduate programs. This provides Anson residents with the opportunity to pursue higher education without having to travel far from home.

In addition to formal education, Anson also values the importance of lifelong learning and community involvement. The town hosts various workshops, seminars, and events that promote learning and personal growth. Residents can participate in activities such as art classes, cooking workshops, and gardening clubs, fostering a sense of community and shared knowledge.

Anson, Maine may be a small town, but it offers its residents a beautiful location, a moderate climate, and a strong educational system. With its scenic setting, friendly community, and commitment to education, Anson is a place where residents can enjoy a peaceful and fulfilling life. Whether it’s exploring the great outdoors, pursuing higher education, or engaging in lifelong learning, Anson provides a nurturing environment for personal and intellectual growth.