Europe is one of six continents on the planet, the second smallest on land, behind only Oceania. With an area of 10 498 000 km2 and a population of 744,707,158 residents, the European continent has 50 independent countries, according to CountryAah.com.
Russia is the largest country in Europe and the world. With a territory of 17 098 242 km2, it is located on two continents, in eastern Europe and Asia (where most of its land is concentrated), and its capital Moscow is in the European part. The smallest territory in Europe is the Vatican, with an area of 0.44 km 2 . Although located within Rome, the capital of Italy, it is an independent state.
Located in the northern hemisphere (above the equator line), the European continent borders on the following areas:
- North: Arctic Glacial Ocean and North Sea
- South: Mediterranean Sea
- East: Ural Mountains, natural border with Asia
- Southeast: Black Sea
- West: Atlantic Ocean
- San Antonio, Texas Weather by Month (11/22/2023) - San Antonio, Texas, located in the southern part of the state, experiences a hot semi-arid climate with distinct seasons. Known for its rich history, cultural attractions, and vibrant community, San…
- Houston, Texas Weather by Month (11/15/2023) - Houston, Texas, situated in the southeastern part of the United States, experiences a humid subtropical climate characterized by hot and humid summers, mild winters, and a relatively short spring and…
- Minot, North Dakota (11/8/2023) - Minot, North Dakota, is a city located in the north-central part of the state. It is the fourth-largest city in North Dakota and serves as the county seat of Ward…
- Lucerne, Colorado (11/1/2023) - Lucerne, Colorado is a charming town located in Weld County. Situated in the heart of the state, Lucerne boasts a diverse and captivating geography that offers residents and visitors a…
- Vernon, New York (10/25/2023) - Vernon is a town located in the central part of New York State, specifically in Oneida County. It is situated in the Mohawk Valley region, which is known for its…
- Prague, Czech Republic Geography (10/23/2023) - Prague, the capital and largest city of the Czech Republic, is a city of rich history and stunning geography. Located in the heart of Central Europe, Prague is renowned for…
- Taylorstown, Pennsylvania (10/18/2023) - Taylorstown is a small unincorporated community located in the southwestern part of Pennsylvania, USA. Situated in Washington County, it is nestled amidst the rolling hills of the Appalachian Plateau region.…
- Union Hill, New York (10/11/2023) - Union Hill is a small hamlet located in Wayne County, New York. Situated in the western part of the state, Union Hill is characterized by its picturesque landscapes, rolling hills,…
- Truxton, New York (10/4/2023) - Truxton, a small town located in Cortland County, New York, is nestled in the heart of the Finger Lakes region. With a population of around 1,100 residents, Truxton offers a…
- Climate in Yaounde, Cameroon (10/3/2023) - Yaoundé, the capital and largest city of Cameroon, is situated in Central Africa, in the central-southern part of the country. Cameroon is known for its diverse landscapes, wildlife, and cultural…
Europe’s socioeconomic division
Based on economic, political and human characteristics, we classify Europe into:
Where developed countries are concentrated, such as Germany, France and the United Kingdom.
Luxembourg – Western Europe
Luxembourg is a state in Europe. The capital of the country is Luxembourg. Approx. 583,000 Luxembourgers and residents of other nationalities live in Luxembourg. The official languages are Luxembourgish, German and French. Luxembourg covers an area of around 2,590 km². Neighboring countries are Germany, France and Belgium.
Guernsey – Western Europe
Guernsey is a state in Europe. The capital of the country is Saint Peter Port. About 65,000 people live in Guernsey. Guernsey is one of the most densely populated regions in the world. The official languages are English and French. Guernsey covers an area of around 80 km².
Isle of Man – Western Europe
The Isle of Man is a crown property under the British Crown. The capital of the country is Douglas. About 75,000 people live on the Isle of Man. The official languages are Manx and English. The Isle of Man covers an area of around 570 km².
Jersey – Western Europe
Jersey is a British crown property in the English Channel. The capital of the country is Saint Helier. About 91,000 people live on Jersey. Jersey is one of the most densely populated regions in the world. The official languages are English and French. Jersey covers an area of around 120 km².
Where less developed countries are concentrated, such as Poland, Ukraine and Croatia.
Cyprus – Southeast Europe
Cyprus, the island of the gods / Aphrodite, is a state in Europe. The capital is Nicosia. About 1.1 million Cypriots and other nationalities live in Cyprus. The official languages are Greek and Turkish. Cyprus covers an area of around 9,250 km².
Slovenia – Southeast Europe
Slovenia, the sunny side of the Alps, is a country in Europe. The capital is Ljubljana. Approximately 2.1 million Slovenes, people of other nationalities, live in Slovenia. The official language is Slovenian. Slovenia covers an area of around 20,000 km² and is therefore around eight times the size of Luxembourg. Neighboring countries are Italy, Hungary, the Republic of Austria and Croatia.
Kosovo – Southeast Europe
Kosovo is a state in Europe. The capital of the country is Pristina. About 1.8 million Kosovars and Kosovars of other nationalities live in Kosovo. The official languages are Albanian and Serbian. Kosovo covers an area of around 11,000 km² and is therefore around four times the size of Luxembourg. Neighboring countries are Serbia, Albania, Macedonia and Montenegro.
Croatia – Southeast Europe
Croatia is a state in Europe. The capital of the country is Zagreb. Around 4.2 million Croatians and Croatians of other nationalities live in Croatia. The official language is Croatian. Croatia covers an area of around 57,000 km². Neighboring countries are Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovenia and Montenegro.
European countries and their capitals
- Germany: Berlin
- Austria: Vienna
- Andorra: Andorra la Vella
- Belgium: Brussels
- Denmark: Copenhagen
- Spain: Madrid
- Finland: Helsinki
- France: Paris
- Greece: Athens
- Netherlands (Netherlands): Amsterdam
- Ireland: Dublin
- Iceland: Reykjavik
- Italy: Rome
- Liechtenstein: Vaduz
- Luxembourg: Luxembourg
- Monaco: City of Monaco
- Norway: Oslo
- Lisbon Portugal
- United Kingdom: London
- San Marino: San Marino
- Switzerland: Bern
- Sweden: Stockholm
- Albania: Tirana
- Belarus (Belarus): Minsk
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: Sarajevo
- Bulgaria: Sofia
- Croatia: Zagreb
- Slovakia: Bratislava
- Slovenia: Ljubljana
- Estonia: Tallinn
- Georgia: Tibilisi
- Hungary: Budapest
- Latvia: Riga
- Lithuania: Vilnius
- Macedonia: Scope
- Moldova: Chisinau
- Montenegro: Podgorica
- Poland: Warsaw
- Czech Republic: Prague
- Romania: Bucharest
- Serbia: Belgrade
- Russia: Moscow
- Turkey: Ankara
- Ukraine: Kiev
Some countries in Asia are listed as Eastern European due to their socio-cultural links with Europe. These countries are:
- Armenia: Ierivan
- Azerbaijan: Baku
Curiosities about Europe
Did you know that some countries in Europe fit within some of our Brazilian states? See below some examples:
- Germany, with an area of 357 022 km2, fits in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul which has 357 145 km2.
- Denmark, with an area of 43, 094 km2, fits into the state of Rio de Janeiro which has 43, 781 km2.
- France, with an area of 549 190 km², fits in the state of Minas Gerais which has 586 520 km2.
- Italy, with an area of 301 340 km2, fits in the state of Maranhão which has 331 936 km2.
- The United Kingdom, with an area of 243,610 km2, fits into the state of São Paulo which has 248 219 km2.
- Portugal, with an area of 92 090 km2, fits in the state of Santa Catarina which has 95 737 km2.
European Religion by Nation
U.S. Demographics by City